29 May 7 Top Bible Verses On Forgiveness
The internet dictionary states that forgiveness is the act of forgiving, the state of being forgiven or the willingness to forgive. To forgive is to grant pardon to a person, cease to feel resentment or cancel a debt. Forgiveness can keep you healthy if you remember to do it quickly, as we have all had offenses.
- Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30
- For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you (attitude: forgive because you love the Lord) Matthew 6:14
- Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Galatians 6:1-2
- Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:31-32
- He who covers and forgives an offense seeks love, but he who repeats or harps on a matter separates even close friends. Proverbs 17:9
- So also My heavenly Father will deal with every one of you if you do not freely forgive your brother from your heart his offenses. Matthew 18:35
- Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 5:7
The Bible gives us many examples of forgiveness.
One famous story in the Bible is the Parable of the Prodigal Son. Luke 15:11-32 tells a great story of forgiveness between a father and a son. There was a man who had two sons. The oldest was obedient and content to live with his father. The younger couldn’t wait to get away from the family to live life on his own terms.
When he was able, he went to his father to ask for his portion of the inheritance. When he got his money he ran off to a far away land. Jesus says that the young man wasted his money in wild living. A short time later the economy bottomed out and the man had no money, no job and no friends. He was willing to take whatever job he could get and ended up taking care of pigs for a farmer. He was so destitute that he was willing to eat the pig feed to stay alive.
The young man wised up and realized that he had a loving father who treated his servants better than the boy was currently living. He decided to return home as a servant to the father. At least he would have food to eat. Little did he know, his father was expecting the boy’s return. As soon as the father saw the young man on the horizon, he ran to him with open arms of forgiveness.
Though the boy returned with hopes of just being a servant, the father accepted him as the son he always was. The boy was forgiven and restored to his former position in the family.
Hope you enjoyed our 7 Top Bible Verses on Forgiveness and the story of the Prodigal Son. There are plenty of stories about forgiveness, click here for a few more.
Do you have a story you’d like to share? Leave a comment below or feel free to Contact Us.