03 Nov God’s Cure For Pride
18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.Deuteronomy 8:18 (AKJV)
At times, children tend to think that
they are better than anyone else:
- if they had new clothes on
- or riding a fancy bike
- or lived in a big house,
- the list goes on.
- such peer pressure to be better than anyone else
- with a new car and fancy phones,
- expensive clothes and vacations,
- or whatever the trend is at the time
Young people forget that what they do have, most are gifts from a parent.
Forgetting is sure easy to do in this busy world where many have ‘me-i-tis.’ 🙁
However, the adults do the same thing when we boast about things we do or what we have, but it’s always in a more ‘clever way. Sometimes our mind is just thinking we are proud and get carried way with bragging thoughts that we are pretty good because of what we have or do. The mind can be a terrible hindrance at times.
When we do get proud, we are forgetting something so very important. The only reason we have things or do things is because God gave it to us. Only God gives; we don’t have nothing to stand on; we can do nothing in our own power.
So, what we really need is a good memory
to remember God alone did it for us. 🙂
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Eph.2:8-10 kjv
Remember when God’s people entered the promised land?
- A land that had brooks of water, wheat,
- barley, vines, fig trees, pomegranates,
- olive oil, honey, even iron and copper.
- A land where they would eat bread
- without scarceness and that they
- would not lack any thing in it
They had everything. They were moving up the ladder of success and God knew it. God wanted them to remember who did it for them. It was God alone who made them successful. They were never to think, “My own power has done this.” To be proud is a temptation pretty close to all of us.
The only one cure to rid oneself of pride is to remember what we have and what we are is God’s gift to us. We need to respect God and not forget what he has done. Read Deuteronomy 8:6-20.
When God took them out of Egypt to the promised land they
- went through many hardships,
- from bondage to freedom.
- They were led thru a wilderness
- of fiery serpents, scorpions and drought.
- God even brought out water from a rock
and gave them manna too.
God warned them to remember the Lord thy God and serve and worship Him alone.
7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? 1 Corinthians 4:7 (AKJV)
Just make a choice today that you are going:
- to have a good memory
- to be THANKFUL to the Lord your God!
- and bless the Lord your God.
- serve and worship and
- Remember HIM